The contributions from our volunteers are invaluable to the success of The Samaritan Inn. Our volunteers are an integral part of the work team and perform a wide range of diverse services. We love our volunteers!
Our most valuable asset is our volunteers! We’d love for you to join us as a volunteer!
Your church, civic group, or corporation can strengthen ties within your group as you help people experiencing homelessness. Check out the variety of projects we have available. learn more.
FAMILIES & KIDS CLUB
Volunteer as a family for a project that expresses your values and commitment to saving those in need. Participate in our Kids Club and Make A Stand to End Homelessness! learn more.
VOLUNTEERING AT THE SAMARITAN INN
Individual volunteers must attend the Volunteer Open House where they will learn about all available volunteer opportunities at The Samaritan Inn. At the Open House potential volunteers can apply and submit paperwork to complete the background check. Register for the next Open House by CLICKING HERE For other questions, please call or text the volunteer hotline at 214-449-4433 or email email@example.com.
There are many ways you can volunteer your time to assist with the programs and operations of the Inn. Some of the ways you can help are listed below.
· Donations program – help coordinate an off campus donation or collections drive. Paper goods, household cleaners, non-perishable & perishable food items, over the counter medications and hygiene products are just a few of the day to day items we regularly need. You can serve as a one-time donor or point of contact for an organization willing to receive your monthly needs list.
· Administrative Staff Support – help with administrative tasks and projects.
· Childcare workers – help supervise children while their parents attend counseling and life skills classes. Monday – Thursday, 7 pm – 9 pm.
· Inn Style Resale Store – help us sort, organize, price and provide customer service in our resale store. Tuesday – Saturday, 9:15 am – 5 pm. This is ideal for small groups who want to serve together. Court ordered service hours can be served at this location if shifts are available.
· Computer Lab Monitor – help answer residents basic questions in our computer lab. This room allows residents computer access to prepare resumes, search for jobs online, and hone their computer skills. Three hour shifts are preferred, seven days a week between 9 am and 9 pm.
· Maintenance Assistance – Our facilities department includes maintenance, food services, and yard work and has just two employees. Imagine how backed up the “to do” list can get! From fixing plugged sinks to hanging closet rods, this is a varied job with lots to do. This department also maintains the Gateway apartments and landscape. Any handyman skills can be put to work!
· Special Events – one of our big sources of funding is organizations that recognize the work of the Inn and take on the effort to put an event together that benefits the Inn. If you have a group, club or organization that is interested in supporting the Inn, why not consider putting together an event? If you have a talent for marketing or solicitations, or just like to meet and visit with new people, you are perfect for one of our fundraising committees or day of the event volunteers.
Volunteer Projects Ideas
- Sprinkler repair
- Landscaping, trim hedges, pull weeds
- Donate/plant sod
- Donate/install edging and wood chips
- Kennel maintenance
- Canned good sorting
- Host resident event like a movie night or bingo party
- Host “ladies/girls” event like manicures and facials
- Host children’s arts and craft activity
How to help during the Holidays
The holidays are a wonderful time to share our joy, care and resources with people in our community that need help. Many of our residents struggle this time of year as they consider lost family, friends, and the lifestyle they once enjoyed. You can help brighten the holidays and ensure The Samaritan Inn is able to help people seeking assistance in their return to self-sufficiency. Here are the best ways you can help:
*Host an event and collect monetary donations for the Inn. Tax receipts available.
*Conduct a collection drive of gift cards in small denominations to Wal-Mart and Target that we can give to our residents. We give gift cards to our residents to purchase presents for their children. We call this the “double blessing” by allowing a resident the dignity of buying the gift directly for their child and sharing in the joy and excitement of the day.
*It takes a lot of to run a shelter for 160 people, and we always need canned food, paper goods, cleaning supplies, over the counter medication, pillows, gently used twin sheets and blankets, etc… We have a list of “current needs” on our donations webpage. www.thesamaritaninn.org/donate.
Need help setting up a collection drive? Got a question? Please call/text 214.449.4433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We truly appreciate your support and couldn’t do it without you!
Eagle Scout/Gold Award Project Ideas
Thanks to our scouting community we currently have numerous Eagle, Gold and Silver Award Projects scheduled throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall. We are not able to take additional project applications at this time. Thank you for your interest in serving The Samaritan Inn.
How Families, Companies, Faith & Civic Groups Can Get Involved
Angel Wings is a 3 month program whereby a group, school, church, family or organization “adopts” a wing or area of our shelter for three months. One month is a deep cleaning service project: another month is a decorating/crafts project and the third month is a donation drive specific to the particular wind that was adopted. It is a couple hours time commitment each month. The available areas for adoption include one of our three family wings, a men’s wing, a women’s wing, the dining room, lounge area, Information Center and lobby. If you’d prefer to make this a one-month program we can certainly do all three components in one month.
Bagged Lunch Brigade
The Samaritan Inn provides bagged lunches for the residents to take to school and work. We make approximately 80-100 bagged lunches per day and are seeking individuals or small groups to make the bagged lunches. This is a great opportunity for you to make a direct impact for the residents. If you’d like to contribute the items necessary to make the lunches, that’s even better! Items include luncheon meats and cheese, bread, individually packaged chips and cookies, and sandwich baggies and brown bags. Bagged lunch brigade is scheduled between mealtimes at the shelter. Please contact us for scheduling or more information.
Meal Sponsor & Serve
The kitchen staff prepares over 136,00 meals annually to residents. Join us in a wonderful program that helps us greatly reduce our food expenses and allows people a hands-on opportunity to interact with the residents. Sponsor a meal at our shelter, and serve that sponsored meal (prepared by our kitchen staff) with up to 5 additional friends or family members. Sponsorship is $180 for breakfast, $200 for lunch or $300 for dinner. Volunteers need to be 6 years old or over. For more information about our meal program or to schedule a meal, please email email@example.com.
We enjoy having large groups come to volunteer at The Samaritan Inn. Groups of up to 30 people can work on special, as-needed projects such as yard work, sorting donations, deep cleaning projects, mailing projects, resident parties and crafts, kids activities, preparing a Gateway Apartment, painting, maintenance, helping at Inn Style Resale or special events. Ages will vary depending on project, but volunteers as young as 6 are encouraged for group projects.
Distribute Donations/Thrift Store Flyers
Need school or civic community service hours quickly? Want to help promote The Samaritan Inn and the Inn Style Resale Store? Please help us distribute door hangers to your neighborhood or others nearby. You pick the neighborhood and we will provide the door hangers and log sheet. This is great for individuals or small groups of any age.
KIDS CLUB/Lemonade Stand
Click here for all the information!
Volunteer Login Information
Upcoming Volunteer Open House
Volunteering at the Inn has been a real blessing to me. I know I am making a difference and I have met so many wonderful people. It has really changed my perspective on what is important in life.Debbie